Losing body fat short term is very straight forward and most people can achieve this. However, the reason we are facing an obesity epidemic is not as a result of people struggling to lose weight, but simply because 80% of people will gain all of the weight back and sometimes more! This is not only bad for your physical health, but it also makes people feel terrible mentally when they gain all of the weight back.
My top 5 tips when it comes to losing body fat and keeping it off
- Prioritise sleep- Sleep is the foundation when it comes to health, longevity and fat loss. Focus on sleep quality by preparing yourself for a good sleep. Come away from your phone at least 1-2 hours before bedtime, turn the lights down, and invest in some blue light blockers (USE code: OPTMISEYOURBODY for 15% off) to block the blue light emitted from your TV, house lighting and mobile phone. Poor sleep has been linked to weight gain, check out this study.
- Drink more water- Our bodies are 70% water, so stay hydrated and keep a bottle of water handy at all times. Aim for a minimum of 2-3 litres of water per day. We often mistake hunger for thirst which can sabotage our fat loss goals, so next time you feel peckish drink a pint of water and wait 20 minutes, you will most likely realise that you are no longer hungry.
- Add more whole foods to your current diet- Processed foods make us overeat, where as whole foods tend to nourish our body and keep us more satiated. Try adding more whole foods to your diet, and you will then naturally start replacing processed foods with healthier foods, this will make you consume less calories and lose more fat. Check out this study which showed people ate over 500 calories more per day when eating processed foods vs whole foods.
- Eat more protein and fat for breakfast- This trick works a treat with both myself and my clients- eat more protein and fat for breakfast. In other words, include eggs or meat with your breakfast and add some healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil or nuts to your meal. Also, throw some leafy greens into the mix and you have yourself a breakfast rich in protein, healthy fats and fibre, which should keep hunger locked up for most of the day.
- Stop following a specific “diet”- The most common mistake I see people making when it comes to achieving fat loss forever, is jumping from one diet to the next in the hope that they will lose fat. While you may drop some weight initially by following a keto, paleo or even vegan diet, the odds are stacked against you when it comes to long term success. The science points to the fact that people do not stick to “diets” long term. Start tracking your calorie intake using myfitnesspal app to build more awareness, then slowly starting adding more whole foods to your diet, this is the best approach for most people when it comes to fat loss, overall health and longevity.
Want to know more? Check out my latest podcast episode- 10 tips to help you lose fat
Download your FREE fat loss fundamentals guide HERE
For online coaching enquires email- email@example.com